Thursday, September 21, 2006

I'm Offended

I'm offended and it doesn't really happen all that often.

This is the first year of preschool for my first (and, currently, only) child. In a couple of weeks, the preschool is having a "Special Man in My Life" Night. What?! When I was in school, it was "Dad's Night."

I like to think that Dads are important. It's also the title that I take most seriously. Now, I've been relegated to "special man." There aren't many more options. Even for those who may not have chosen a mate of the opposite sex, they're still both "dads" -- I've heard of the books, you know: Why Billy Has Two Daddies (or Mommies). I'm not knocking those guys; in fact, they should be upset, too! Unless there's a kid with a dead dad, there's no reason for this.

Now, instead of being given the respect due to a dad, I've been put on par with that "special" "uncle" who's shacking up with Billy's mom. Fuck him. This is insulting.

10 comments:

amidalooine said...

Good. Be insulted. Not for the healthy absence of political correctness it demonstrates, but for the chipping away at the equality of parenthood this upcoming special night shows. Would "Mom's Night" ever be changed to "Special Woman in My Life" Night? No way!

Hey wait a minute! Moms don't get a "Mom's Night!" Moms get all the days. Every day. I think I'm offended by something else.

At least you get to be "special."

(Yes, I live in the real world and understand the undertaking of my vocation. When I was pregnant with my first one 22 years ago, however, I had no idea that reality meant that my husband would get "special" nights at my childrens' schools while I got notes sent home reminding me that this week's theme day is "Red" so that I don't forget like I did last week. Did your wife get that note? If she ever forgets anything, she will. That...is insulting.)

Darth Rex0 said...

What a bunch of shit. I'm not sure what else to say.

Mom's deserve a day to ami. No doubts there.

Don't get me started on what an absensce of a male role model does for a child, but that is another discussion.

I'm not sure what the school is afraid of here. Apart from a death in the family, there isn't any reason not to call it Dad's Day.

You are the hands of change jk-1. Go get'em.

amidalooine said...

Just checking in on you, j. Had to check my new avatar, too.

amidalooine said...

So how WAS "Special Man in my Life" night?

JSun said...

I was thinking about asking when "Dad's Night" was going to occur. However, about a week or so before the big night, J2 slipped. I asked him what he did at school. He told me he learned a new song, so I asked to hear it. Then he starts singing, "Daddies are for hugging/ Daddies are for kissing/ I love you"

So, what could I do?

Anonymous said...

I'm late here... but maybe you should've worn a big name tag which read "Special Man." They would've gotten the message. ;)

JSun said...

You're never too late. We're like Vegas over here at my bar, "Always Open." (as long as you can pay for the drinks)

amidalooine said...

Then he starts singing, "Daddies are for hugging/ Daddies are for kissing/ I love you"

So, what could I do?


I certainly HOPE that you gave him a huge hug and kiss and let him see the tears in your eyes.

JSun said...

Well, ususally when he hugs me, he's looking past me at his next exploit, so, "no." To add injury to insult, there's a Mommy's Night coming up. I thought I was "special"

amidalooine said...

Mommy's are politically correct. It doesn't make us better parents.