Thursday, September 21, 2006

All I Want is You

First, I need to answer a question. “What does U2 have to do with Abraham?” I’m not exactly sure (well, I’m pretty sure), but let me start with a story.

In early 2001, I surprised my wife with U2 concert tickets. I think it was some time in February. Anyway, while at the concert, Bono introduced The Edge as, “The man with as many children as Abraham.” Abraham had a handful of wives, too, didn’t he? Only Bono would call a player by a biblical name.

Here is one of my favorite passages about living in the moment. I think Abraham knew this to be true, too.

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink, or about your body, what you will wear. Is no life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds in the sky; they do no sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not more important than they? Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span? Why are you anxious about clothes? Learn from the way the wild flowers grow. They do not work or spin. But I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was clothed like one of them. If God so clothes the grass of the field, which grows today and is gone tomorrow, will he not much more provide for you, O you of little faith? So do not worry and say, ‘What are we to eat?’ or ‘What are we to wear?’ All these things the pagans seek. Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given you besides. Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself. Sufficient for a day is it own evil.”

Matthew 6:25-34

Taking this a little further, it applies not only to “today” but to this “moment” – however long the moment may be. A day, a night, an hour, a minute, a week, whatever.

What we’ve got now, what we’re doing right now, is a divine gift. Make no mistake about it.

At our wedding, my wife and I read from this Gospel passage:

“The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure buried in a field, which a person finds and hides again, and out of joy goes and sells all that he has and buys that field. Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant searching for fine pearls. When he finds a pearl of great price, he goes and sells all that he has and buys it.”

Matthew 13:44-46

We also played a U2 song at our wedding. To date, I don’t have nearly as many children as Abraham, though.

“You say you want
Diamonds on a ring of gold

You say you want
Your stories to remain untold



All I want is you …”

U2
Rattle and Hum

When you find a treasure, you hold onto it. God gives us valuable treasure in each moment and it's there for the taking.

1 comment:

amidalooine said...

I asked you a while ago if we are all expected to have the faith of Abraham. Perhaps I should have asked you if we are all expected to have the faith of Bono. His faith is more lyrical and his flock is nearly as great.

Live in the moment, but don't get stuck in it.

I am so tired tonight...drained by a night of reflection on U2 and life, and content from a day of sunshine, driving with loud music and the windows down. The words to All I Want Is You are the wild flowers of faith in weddings and love. Don't ever let anyone tell you you're not a hopeless romantic.