Thursday, September 07, 2006

Don't blame Thomas. It wasn't his falt.

I wanted to say something about the Abraham and Isaac story. First, though, I wanted to talk about “Doubting” Thomas. Was Thomas’ faith somehow inadequate? Somehow inferior to Abraham’s faith? I think not.

My next entry will be about Abraham, but first I will address Thomas. Abraham was about to sacrifice his son (more about that later). Is there any indication that Thomas would not have made a similar sacrifice? Weren’t the 12 disciples told that they needed to leave all behind and follow Jesus? Didn’t Thomas do that? Didn’t he sacrifice his family?

He “doubted” Jesus because he didn’t believe that a dead man could roll away a large stone, walk out of a tomb, descend upon the disciples, and talk to them. He probably also didn’t believe that if someone destroyed Herod’s Temple it could be re-built within 3 days. Is that really so shocking?

Probably not.

Now, this is not my explanation, but it’s a good one.

Did you ever stop to think about why Thomas doubted the disciples? How come the other 10 couldn’t convince Thomas? Were they ineloquent? Or were they impassionate?

Ever notice that you tend to believe those who tell their stories with fervor and passion? Have you ever said, “He can’t be lying because he’s so convinced.”? You have.

Why didn’t Thomas think those same things? I submit that it was because the other 10 (and the Mary’s) couldn’t convince him. They lacked faith. Thomas was the only one with the nuts to stand up and question it all. He led them to faith. Sometimes, transgression (here, doubt) is a gift that can lead one to the divine.

3 comments:

amidalooine said...

Doubt as a gift? Interesting. I'll have to think about this one...

For now, I'm going to climb into my nice cozy hotel bed here in Boston, and...

Sleep!

Cheers, yourself! ;)

amidalooine said...

Before exhaustion consumes me, I have to make the comments here that have been on my mind!

Is there any indication that Thomas would not have made a similar sacrifice?

Well...yeah. You don't think that Thomas would have said, "Yo...He Who Has No Name!What proof do I have that I must kill my son?" He did leave his family to follow Jesus, but he did not have the faith to believe exactly as Jesus told him...that He would raise from the dead. Who's to say what Thomas would have done in Abraham's sandals, but there is every indication that Thomas just had it in him to doubt.

You say that it's probably not so shocking that Thomas wasn't buying this ridiculous story of Jesus' resurrection, yet all of the other apostles believed.

Ever notice that you tend to believe those who tell their stories with fervor and passion? Have you ever said, “He can’t be lying because he’s so convinced.”? You have.

You're probably right that I have. Yet I'm also sure that I have witnessed fervor and passion and thought, "What a LIAR!" Whom did Thomas choose to believe...his passionate friends or the motivated masses who claimed that the whole resurrection story happened because the cowards who were hiding out in the Upper Room swiped Jesus' body?

Thomas was the only one with the nuts to stand up and question it all. He led them to faith.

Despite my stumping for the Devil, as it were, I love this point you make, and I like the thought of it. The idea that the gift of doubt can lead us to faith gives me hope for my skeptical self.

I am SOOOO stinking tired!!! WHY am I still up????

Oh, and j??? I wrote a new blog entry!!! :-D

GoKnight said...

Hey JK! Popping by now that I've found this link from the starwars.com site.

I like the explanation that Thomas was written in to take the place of the reader. We're the ones who need the faith -- who haven't seen and need to believe! We don't want to end up like Thomas -- the only one who didn't! Right? ;-)

You are right. Thomas was a man of great faith, declaring earlier "Then let us also go -- at least we'll die with him!"

BTW -- I loved your thoughts on this! Veracity is pretty darn important in cases like this!

Happy blogging!