Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Forgiveness

I'm just writing something down so I don't forget it. Maybe I'll come back to it later, maybe I won't.

Over the Easter weekend I was watching parts of Jesus of Nazareth and The Greatest Story Ever Told. I was very sick and slipping in and out of awake-time and un-restful sleep. I did wake up, however, to see several scenes of Jesus forgiving various sex offenders. The lady with the oil on his feet, the "throw the first stone" speech -- you know the ones.

He went out of his way to forgive these persons and chastise those that would stone them to death. The clear message I got was, "Judge not, lest ye be judged."

These teachings and warnings, however, did not accompany sins like murder, rape or the more heinous crimes. Today, one may call prostitution a "victimless" crime (although there is no such thing).

It makes me wonder what Jesus would have taught had an angry mob wanted to stone a murdering rapist. It makes me wonder why the Gospel writers didn't include such a story.

On the one hand, we can infer that those who these "lesser" crimes deserve more slack. On the other, it may be that we are supposed to be able to get the message from a story or two; moreover, Jesus didn't intend for only some sinners to be forgiven.

It may not be anything. Maybe I'll re-visit this issue.

2 comments:

amidalooine said...

At the time, and in some parts of the world today, prostitution IS a heinous crime. But I know the point you're making.

I believe we've been taught that anything can be forgiven, yet that's a difficult concept to take. A few years back while teaching sixth grade CCD, I was able to get one of our parish priests to come to the class to answer random questions. This wasn't all that long after 9/11, and the kids wanted to know one big thing: would God ever forgive the terrorists? Father John was sweating it; I could hear it in his voice. Ultimately, his answer was yes, but he didn't have a whole lot of facts to support his pronouncement.

Maybe he should have watched Jesus of Nazareth.

Darth Rex0 said...

Forgiveness is a concept that is very hard for us fallen beings. Its easy to forgive the little stuff and hard to forgive the "big" stuff. There is no bigger or smaller sin in God's eyes. I think the big reason its so hard for us is "unconditional love". We just don't do that naturally. God love's us unconditionally. We don't earn his love, we have it. Accept his son and he will forgive everything. This of course, is my belief and it might have holes in it. If you point the holes out, I of course will forgive you. ;)