Monday, October 02, 2006

Ronaldo's Doppleganger

I'll get back to Abraham sometime, but today I'm living in the moment and the moment is taking me somewhere else. I've also got an entry about my un-born daughter's new name, but I'll get to that later. I've got a couple things on my mind right now.

One good and one bad. Bad first.

I think I got screwed on the Guinness Bar Contest. They were supposed to come out with a winner's list by now. I requested a winner's list and never got one -- I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't getting screwed and someone actually won. And I always wanted to grouse about how the "other guy" shouldn't have been the winner. I've emailed four times and received no response. Not even a, "Hey, sorry, we discontinued that contest because all the entries (your's included) sucked." Nothing. I'm thinking about staging a boycott (a term that originated in Ireland). I am not buying or drinking Guinness again ... until Friday, or maybe Thursday ...

The good news is that I played relatively well on the soccer field yesterday. It's been one of my better outings in a while. We won 4-3 and I was 100% of our scoring. You know it's a tight game when they're relying on me.

I won't lie. Part of it was the competition. However, the goaltender was very good and made two very good saves on my shots (I only took 6 shots). And there was one defender I had trouble getting around. Fortunately, old age and treachery overcame youth and skill (well, he has some skill and was slightly younger than me). Here's how the third goal went down:

I had my back to the goal, off to the keeper's right side, with the ball, and this guy (who may have been slightly younger but didn't have so much skill) on me. He had been giving me trouble. So, when the opportunity presented itself I stepped on his left foot with my left foot so I could turn without his following me. Once around him, I focused on the back post and when I saw the goaltender leaning to his left, I shot to the near post and scored. It was quite magical if I do say so myself.

How do I resemble Ronaldo in all of this? My stomach, my unwillingness to run, and my willingness to kinda cheat a little.

No one would ever really call me a "ringer." But, in this league, I sort of am one. Sort of. There are a lot of guys in this division that are just good enough athletes and just good enough at soccer to beat girls and run around a lot. Many of them are faster and stronger than I, but none of them are better players than I. I'm good enough to beat all the guys when I really want to. I also try to take it easy on the gals. Some of the ladies are good; when I try to take it easy on them they beat me. I have to remember to identify those to be nice to and those that cause me trouble.

I like this division, though, because it is now my firm belief that the only persons permitted to be intense on Sunday afternoons are in the NFL. If I played in the higher division, I might have to intensify my play so as not to look so bad. I can do it (I played in that league for a while), but intensity has no place on a Sunday afternoon. And, I've got my mens' league during the week for intensity. I also like my teammates. Among others that I like, my brother plays on the team. He never went as far with soccer as I did and I think the last time we had played on a team together I was something like 8 years old. That's nice, too.

Of course, maybe if I played with more intensity, I'd get rid of that Ronaldo-gut.

13 comments:

amidalooine said...

Doesn't it feel amazing just to say (or type) "my un-born daughter?" I have a smile on my face FOR you.

Right...no Guinness. Nevermind. Guinness is OK. Make up your mind!

You know I know precious little about soccer, save for what my priest talks about ;), but you make it sound appealing. I like your thinking...that NFL-ers are the only ones allowed to be intense on Sundays. Amen to that. ANd I love that you play soccer with your brother! Very cool.

Darth Rex0 said...

Love the soccer descriptions.

Don't be so hard on yourself, Ronaldo cheats alot worse than stepping on someone's foot.

I'm so jealous that you have the time to play. I miss getting out. I assume you are playing indoor. I played in an outdoor league here a couple of years ago. My gut stayed with me despite the endless running. I did manage a few goal then, though none to the near post. I had a coach that would have pulled you from the game for going near post, even if you did score.

JSun said...

Rex0,

I do play indoors.

In regard to shooting near post, here's my theory:

Q: "Where do you shoot the ball?"
A: "Where the goalie isn't."

Easy enough. What if he takes away the far post? Are you supposed to shoot it there anyway?

In a 1999 Champions League game, Ryan Giggs (for Man U, I don't remember who they were playing) had one of the most stupdendous goals I'd ever seen. From his wing position behind the midfield stripe, he carried the ball into near the penalty area and hit the underside of the top of the net at the near post. Do you think the coaches were made at him?

Darth Rex0 said...

You are preaching to the choir friend. In high school I had just as many near post goals as far post. You shoot'em where they ain't.

Of course with my incredible power, it didn't really matter where I put it.

I'm kidding on the last part of course.

I know of the goal you are talking about. I thought it was one of the sweetest shots I've ever seen. Man, its good to talk football with someone. Sorry ami, its not like there are a ton of real American Soccer Fans out there.

amidalooine said...

No biggie...I'm just sitting here at the bar, listening to you two talk...

I'd do a cheer or something, but...VOMIT EVERYWHERE!!!

:)

JSun said...

My shot has incredible power, too. Both feet, actually. Especially indoors where I get to take a lot of them from 10 yards out.

On the mens' league, I play goaltender, so I get to take out my frustrations on Sundays. I'm the backup goalie, but we've gone through several first-stringers ala Spinal Tap's drummer.

When I'm in goal, I usually just try to cut down the angle, cover the near post (while avoiding the inclination to cheat over), and hope.

JSun said...

And it's not the vomit that will get you, it's all of the teeth on the floor that used to belong to the hooligans who weren't paying close enough attention.

I've had a couple of close calls with rabid soccer fans. Maybe I'll talk about that someday.

amidalooine said...

Do tell, j...and remind not to get on your bad side.

Darth Rex0 said...

What a fun little chat we've had.

I've never seen real actual "hooligans" before. I caught a bunch of WC games in Dallas in 94, but no holligans for sure.

I haven't played goalie since junior high probably. I guess I was too much into the glory. I played on some bad teams until Varsity in High School. We were talented and we knew it. We beat the crap out of most teams until the final four of state (TX). We could never win the big one.

Here in LR, indoor never took off. I think it would do better now, but 10 years ago the place got shut down. I signed up and the season got cancelled. Bummer.

Did someone just vomit? It kind of stinks in here.

JSun said...

For the most part, I played in the middle defense; sometimes in the midfield. I also palyed a lot of backup goalie until high school. I played a lot of indoor goalie in high school, during the summer when the club season was over.

When I started playing on a league in law school, I played a lot of winger and some outside back (I was a big fan of Roberto Carlos at the time). It was different and fun.

I'm pretty sure that the one year I've been playing co-ed indoor soccer I've scored more goals than my previous 25 years years combined (indoor and outdoor). Mainly because there are few on our team that can consistently strike the ball straight.

Playing indoor goalie is kind of like being a defender that can use his hands.

amidalooine said...

Goaltenders are cool...hockey goaltenders anyway.

I have mentioned the Coyotes game that I went to...in Phoenix...with my Lemieux shirt on...alone...didn't I? What a blast I had.

OK...so you're not talking about hockey, but it's all I can contribute. Carry on.

Oh, and I wasn't vomiting about anything soccer-related...I was dissing the cheerleaders...

JSun said...

I hadn't heard about the hockey trip to Phoenix.

I've never seen any soccer cheerleaders. Where are they?

I was at a game in Phx against Colorado when Roenick had a hat trick against Patrick Roy. Phx scored 7 before he got pulled in the 3rd. We had a great time chanting, "Paaaa-trick, Paaaa-trick"

amidalooine said...

Ooooooooo...What a great feeling...chanting Patrick Roy off the ice! I actually had a chance to do that once, here in Pittsburgh, when we were good. Tom Barrasso was in goal for us. Those were the days...sigh...

Yeah...my husband goes to Phoenix at least once a year, and I used to go with him once in a while. I thought it might be a hoot to go to a Coyotes game one Sunday afternoon...in Penguins gear. I had such a great time...got lots of comments from (mostly) nice fans...chatted up the drunk guys next to me.

What? You doubted that I'm a freak?

I thought soccer had cheerleaders? I swear I saw our high school cheerleaders at a soccer game last week...or maybe that's different.

My son might sing the national anthem at a soccer game. Does that count for anything?