Sunday, August 27, 2006

What's in a Name?

Now that we know we're having a girl, we need to pick a name. Here's what is in the running so far. We're not set on any of these, so things may change and suggestions are appreciated.

First Names:
Julia
Abigail
Tara

Middle Names:
Michelle
Christine
Rose

My wife likes Julia. She thinks that it is a powerful and classic name. It means "youthful" and is a classically Roman name.

My son likes Abigail. He really likes "Abby." He has already named the baby "Abby" after the character in his favorite movie, Chicken Little. Abigail mean's "father's joy." I was Grammy Kelly's first grandson, and she called me her "Pride and Joy." As some of you may know from my SW blog, she died 8 days before we found out we were having a girl. She had 2 sons, 6 grandsons, and 2 great-grandsons, and she was very much hoping for a girl in the Kelly family.

I like Tara. Tara is the hill in Ireland from which the King of Kings reigned. It is also the site of some of St. Patrick's most famous sermons -- allegedly. Before you say, "But it has different pronunciations and that will make things difficult for your daughter" I have a question for you. Pronounce this word: "T-A-R" Now, add a short "a" to the end of it. No problems.

Michelle is the feminine of my middle name. If we named her Julia Michelle Kelly, her initials would be the same as mine and my son's. When I was born, there were no ultrasound machines, and my "girl name" would have been Leia Michelle. My sister-in-law, though, is already Leah.

Christine is a family name from my wife's side of the family (and her middle name). If we named her Abigail Christine Kelly, her initials would be the same as my wife's.

Rose is my grandmother's middle name. As discussed above, she was hoping for a girl.

I'd appreciate any input.

6 comments:

amidalooine said...

OK...I personally like Julia Rose. Julia is just a beautiful name, and if my sister hadn't claimed it already for her then-future children (and don't you know she didn't even USE it???), we might have a Julia.

Rose is perfect since it was your grandmother's middle name. And I LOVE Rose.

We talked about Rose for my #5's middle name, but Casey Rose just didn't sound right (and Casey Catherine reflects the long line of Catherine's in my family...and there was this story I read once about how charming St. Catherine of Siena was...and I like it better with Casey anyway...whew). Erin Rose was a choice, too.

If I saw the name "Tara," I would pronounce it Tara with a short "a" sound...like cat. It woudln't even occur to me to pronounce it "tar"-a. Sorry!

I have a Valerie Michelle! And an Allison Christina...

If we had another child now (which would be an act of God in itself) and that child were a girl, we'd probably go with the "Lee" theme...Leia...Leanna...Leighanne...something like that.

Abigail's meaning is priceless.

Soooooo...I like Julia Rose!

YZF said...

If you go with Abby, shouldn't "Normal" be her middle name?


Nice new digs, btw.

JSun said...

Someone's going to have to fill me in on "Abby Normal"

starthunder said...

Oh hey! Do you still check in down in this post jk?

Anyway - I really like Tara. Tara is also the female aspect Buddha of compassion.

Julia would be my second choice. It sounds good with Kelly and everything. I dunno though. I can't help thinking of Julia Roberts. It's slightly plain.

I really like the idea of Rose coming from your grandmother who really wanted a granddaughter.

JSun said...

Interesting on Tara. I'm reading a book on Celtic mythology right now, and the professor's preface goes through the similarity between the Irish mythos and the Hindu religious stories. His conclusion is that it all came from the region in Asia Minor, then the Celts went West and the Aryans went East.

Anonymous said...

actually rom delonge was the guitarist 4 blink NOT the drummer